You will be placed in the waiting room initially, please be patient.
Phone: (312) 626 6799
Meeting ID: 824 3854 1089
- Sunday Night Prayer – 5:00 PM.
- Thursday Night – Open Table – 5:00 PM.
- Friday Meetup – Hybrid @ 6:00 PM.
(10) “Bring the full tenth into the storehouse so that there may be food in my house. Test me in this way,” says the LORD of Armies. “See if I will not open the floodgates of heaven and pour out a blessing for you without measure. (11) “I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not ruin the produce of your land and your vine in your field will not fail to produce fruit,” says the LORD of Armies.
– Malachi 3:10-11 CSB
The Authority and Power of the Word
For those of you who have a copy of the Purple Book, this is from Chapter Five – Spiritual Hunger and God’s Word. We will be looking through Scripture over the next few weeks to see what it tells us about the Bible.
The Bible is the Word of God. It has Authority, Power, Benefits, causes Spiritual Hunger and Obedience.
The Bible is so much more than a rule book. It definitely gives us instruction, but there is so much more.
To some, the Bible may seem like a random collection of letters, poems, and stories, but it is anything but this. The Bible is a unified story that leads us to Jesus.
David tells us in Psalm 119…
(97) How I love your instruction! It is my meditation all day long. (98) Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are always with me. … (105) Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light on my path. … (114) You are my shelter and my shield; I put my hope in your word.
– Psalm 119:97-98, 105, 114 CSB
We are to love God’s instruction to us. He reveals Himself through His word.
We are to meditate on it. Why? Because it makes us wise.
It guides our path, gives us direction, and gives us hope.
Jesus tells us of its importance…
(4) He answered, “It is written: Man must not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
– Matthew 4:4 CSB
Man must live on every word that comes from the mouth of God. – Jesus
As we look at this topic today, I will break it into the following handles.
- Creation by the Word
- Devotion to the Word
- Distribution of the Word
- Foundation of the Word
- Decision made by the Word.
Creation by the Word
We are dependent on the Father for all things. In fact, it was by His word that all things were created. Even more, He is holding all things together.
(5) …By the word of God the heavens came into being long ago and the earth was brought about from water and through water.
– 2 Peter 3:5 CSB
The entire universe came into being by God’s Word. There is power in His word.
(1) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (2) Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness covered the surface of the watery depths, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. (3) Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
– Genesis 1:1-3 CSB
Notice that the entire Godhead was involved in Creation.
Devotion to the Word
(42) They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to prayer.
– Acts 2:42 CSB
The first followers of Jesus were devoted in these ways.
- to the apostles’ teaching – this would include all that Jesus taught and His actual life, death, resurrection, and ascension. It is the good news, the message of the New Testament.
- to the fellowship – this is more than just community participation. It includes spiritual participation that is based on a spiritual union brought about by the Holy Spirit. The Spirit joins us into one life and purpose.
- to the breaking of bread – this likely covers the Lord’s Supper and larger fellowship meals.
- to prayer – this holds the idea of corporate prayer as the body of believers.
(4) “But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.”
– Acts 6:4 CSB
The top two things the leaders of the early church set as priorities were prayer and the ministry of the word and the equipping of the saints.
Paul tells us that we all have the Ministry of Reconciliation.
Distribution of the Word
(7) So the word of God spread, the disciples in Jerusalem increased greatly in number, and a large group of priests became obedient to the faith.
– Acts 6:7 CSB
As God’s word spread the disciples grew in number. What is produced as we distribute God’s good news? Disciples.
Even priests became obedient to the faith. This is a big deal. The priests knew the Old or First Testament. But as they heard this New Testament that Jesus established, they became obedient to it.
(20) In this way the word of the Lord flourished and prevailed.
– Acts 19:20 CSB
In Ephesus, the word of the Lord flourished, that is, it grew and prevailed.
Foundation of the Word
God’s Word Is Powerful
(11) “so my word that comes from my mouth will not return to me empty, but it will accomplish what I please and will prosper in what I send it to do.”
– Isaiah 55:11 CSB
God’s Word Is Eternal.
(89) LORD, your word is forever; it is firmly fixed in heaven.
– Psalm 119:89 CSB
(8) “The grass withers, the flowers fade, but the word of our God remains forever.”
– Isaiah 40:8 CSB
(35) “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
– Matthew 24:35 CSB
God’s Word Reveals Himself
(1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
– John 1:1 CSB
(14) The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. We observed his glory, the glory as the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
– John 1:14 CSB
The Word is the only Son from the Father. Jesus showed us, God, in the flesh. Remember what He told Phillip? “If you have seen me you have seen the Father.”
God’s Word Is Truth
(160) The entirety of your word is truth, each of your righteous judgments endures forever.
– Psalm 119:160 CSB
(6) Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
– John 14:6 CSB
(17) “Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.
– John 17:17 CSB
God’s word is true, period. It sanctifies those who believe.
God’s Word Is Profitable
(16) All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness,
– 2 Timothy 3:16 CSB
God’s Word Comes Through His Spirit
(20) Above all, you know this: No prophecy of Scripture comes from the prophet’s own interpretation, (21) because no prophecy ever came by the will of man; instead, men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
– 2 Peter 1:20-21 CSB
Decision made by the Word
(12) For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any double-edged sword, penetrating as far as the separation of soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
– Hebrews 4:12 CSB
The word of God is penetrating. It is able to separate out the soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the thoughts and intents of the heart.
(48) “The one who rejects me and doesn’t receive my sayings has this as his judge: The word I have spoken will judge him on the last day.
– John 12:48 CSB
Jesus says that on the last day, the one who rejects Him, who doesn’t receive His sayings, will be judged by the word He has spoken.
What do you learn about God? What has He done?
- God is the creator of the entire universe (2 Peter 3:5).
- God’s word spreads and expands His family and kingdom (Acts 6:7)
- His word flourishes and prevails (Acts 19:20).
- He inspires men to write down His word (2 Tim 3:16).
- He speaks through prophets as the Holy Spirit leads them (2 Pet 1:20-21).
- God is the Word (John 1:1).
- Jesus is the Word, the only Son from the Father (John 1:14).
- God’s word remains forever. It accomplishes what He sends it to do. It is true. It sanctifies those who believe. It penetrates and judges the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- Those who do not receive Jesus will be judged by the word He has spoken.
What do you learn about people? Yourself?
Devotion to the Word – How we should live.
- Followers of Jesus are devoted to the Apostle’s teaching, fellowship, breaking of bread, and prayer.
- Leaders set priorities of prayer and the ministry of the word.
Distribution of the Word – The Mission we are on.
- Disciples grow in number as they receive God’s word.
- Whose job is it to distribute this good news?
Foundation of the Word – What builds and transforms our lives.
- The Word of God has been given to us in the Holy Scriptures and as the Holy Spirit leads and gives revelation.
- Believers are sanctified by the word.
Decision made by the Word – It judges us.
- God’s word separates out the soul and the spirit of man and judges the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- Those that have rejected and not received Jesus’ sayings will be judged by His words.
How are you going to obey this passage (“I will…”)?
Who will you share this with?